Friday, January 8, 2010

Class #4, 2010

Yes. That's right. Three days off...which was kind of an 'oops!' - I was tired Tuesday and thought I'd take the day off- forgetting that I couldn't go to class on Wednesday or Thursday :(

So you know when you go to an event, fundraiser, community meeting - whatver - and you don't really want to go...but you go, because it's the right thing to do, you know you should, and you'll feel better if you do.

Well, that is how I felt today about going to 4 p.m. class...at 3:51 I got it together and headed for the studio. There was no parking, except the 30-minute tow-away zone outside the beer microbrewery in the back of the same building as our studio (hops anyone)? So I did what any desperate yogi would do: I went into the brewery and said, "You won't get me towed, right? I mean, it's 4 p.m. Friday - you're not expecting deliveries now, right?" The facial-hair riddled fella was all Seattle-beer-dude about it, "Uh, no, man, we won't get'cha towed..." Sweet!

So with mere moments to spare I jetted in and took a crappy spot on my least-favorite portion of the room. Awesome start. Not. As the teacher explained breathing to some new folks, I noticed a primo front-row spot open and not even blocking anyone! I snatched up my mat and took it and breathing started.

As class went on, after my unplanned 3-day hiatus, I found that I felt great! The best part came in Locust pose. After the separate leg part, we were gearing up for both legs - the time when I typically feel as if an elephant has just sat down upon me and hardly can see the value of trying, though I do. In this moment though, I had the notion to push my hands into the floor and stretch my toes back and then up. Like, kinda "scooping" them back and up... The result was my weight shifted to the upper part of my hip bones. My hand and arm strength was suddenly insanely accessible! My legs went up. And up. AND UP. And, the effort felt like about half of what I usually give to raise my feet (what feels like) mere centimeters.

I'm all for surprises. I felt like I won a killer door-prize at one of those fundraisers I didn't want to go to, like, "This was SO worth it! I'm so glad I came!" I ended up walking out with something unexpected and welcome.

1 comment:

Johan said...

Thanks for that Locus tip. I used to have this posture down months ago, but then it slipped through my fingers. Today it was back. And what a relieve that was, no more reflux. :-)