Saturday, January 2, 2010

Class #1, 2010

Today was my first class of 2010. It sucked.

I'm not complaining, just reporting what happened. But it was good too, good to go and power through though my brain felt squeezed and my energy was low. During savasana, I pondered why avocados taste so crappy all winter when I buy them at the grocery, but at restaurants, the guacamole tastes as good as summer. There's some good yogic focus for you! It was with Suzanne, in West Seattle, and after I went outside and laid on my wet towel on the sidewalk at 6:30 p.m. on a Saturday night until my heart rate recovered after about 10 minutes. Nice. Did I mention this studio is on the main drag of a populated business district?

In 2009, I laid down 2 times in class - both were Penni's, for those who know her. I'm not sure how many classes I did in total for the year, but I know I completed three 30-day challenges and practiced regularly otherwise, save for some serious sciatica in the spring (that was/is terrible, btw). I feel good about my year in terms of Bikram Yoga. I looked back over my posted goals from a year ago, and, well, you could said I failed. Epic. Miserable. Fail. But really I didn't. I just didn't reach those particular goals in all cases, and I'm ok with that.

For 2010, I'm not going to set yoga goals. I'm going to let it unfold, but I am going to try to write more about it. Here. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! I'll enjoy reading your posts. I've missed them...even though we communicate in other ways frequently, it's just not the same, ya know?

Amy

Unknown said...

Think it was a GREAT way to start off the year!! I did the same, and though I had some similar feelings on my class's outcome, it was indeed good for me.

Penni brings an intensity to my practice as well...love her! It was frankly quite intimidating in the beginning, but now it's welcome. You brought another, different type of intensity to Sweatbox Shoreline, one of the things I miss of your not teaching there presently. :-(

And now for Anthony's Avocado $0.02: Selection is most of the problem with winter avocados, imho. There's plenty of duds to sort through, and some deceitful ones. I don't always pick well but I'm such a fan I must have lots more practice. :-D

just me said...

I am so glad you are back to blogging more, I like reading about other people's experiences. I sympathize about the sciatica, I battle a bad back and know how distracting it can be during class.