Monday, February 1, 2010

Class #19, 2010

I really, really did not plan to practice today. Because I didn't want to - practice OR teach, but since I couldn't get my 8 p.m. class covered, I figured I'd go to 6 p.m. practice to knock myself into order to teach. I love teaching, but like anyone, sometimesI don't want to go to work.

So I showed up to class at oh...5:55, and found 60+ people there already. It was like Thanksgiving or something! I ended up with the poo spot - the black 'parking spot' by the door not intended for use; it's meant to be left open as a passageway. Still, with no space, I took the hit (plus, I was late, it was my own doing!). Well, that spot is a bit breezy, and in the third row. I always practice up front.

What ended up happening is I had a kickass practice. I couldn't really see myself in the mirror, except for when the girl in the front (coveted) row laid down (a lot). It brought me back to training, knowing your body well enough to know you were in the posture correctly, to my full ability... a nice reminder of that feeling, that focus.

And then I taught 8 p.m. - and it was a good class, and I was happy to be there. I had a student who'd taken my class quite a while back whose recently return tell me "Your teaching has really improved." It was kind of her to say. Another, after class, told me, "You are TOUGH! I've got to like 5 studios and you are the toughest I've ever had!" That surprised me, but I was glad she got a good workout in! (And then I thought of all the teachers who (I think) are way, way tougher than me!) ;) I guess I was supposed to teach that one to be reminded that when you teach, it matters, to someone, every time. I know all my teachers matter to me :)

No comments: