Saturday, February 13, 2010

Class #24, 2010

For months now, I've wanted to go to the other official Bikram studio in Seattle, The Sweatbox, to catch new teacher Gary's class. I took his first class after training and was stunned and amazed at his dialogue, his comfort (he is in a rock band (two, actually), so being on stage is not foreign to him) and his lightness. So, today I was up in time to make it to Capitol Hill, found great parking and was in the studio with a good 5 minutes to spare. That particular studio fills up in the front row first, so to be up front, I had to take the wimpy spot by the bathroom (there's a wee bit of cool air that flows underneath the door, which provides actual oxygen that is, well, a treat...).

It was my best practice in ages.

Still coming off my trauma from last Monday, I was delighted to enjoy myself. My postures felt yummy and my body was right on! I used to teach there (now I sub) and was next to a regular student, who has a great practice and whose husband was behind me, taking his very first class! Gary was awesome. He is so good, really, just a gifted teacher whose got the energy, skill, interest and personality to get it done in a really endearing way. My two favorites from today:

1) During Camel, "Don't think about how much this sucks. Think about how good it is for you!"
2) Between sets of Rabbit, "You know, the paper you sign says emotions may come up. If they do, just do like your parents told you and suppress them." It got quite a chuckle.

Man it felt good to be in a different space, different teacher, different energy from the students...nice energetic change!

No comments: